I always felt pizza was overrated and never digged it until I travelled to Europe and saw there were different kinds; I especially like the thick crust ones with lots of cheese. It’s kind of like I am eating bread and stew, lol. Following this recipe was fun and I found out that making pizza ain’t rocket science. So here’s how to make chicken and sweetcorn pizza step by step, at home.
What you need: Makes three, 12” pizzas.
- For the topping: 4 large tomatoes ground, Small tin (70g) tomato puree, 1 heaped tablespoon ketchup, pinch of salt, a pair of knorr cubes, ¼ teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon Oregano, 3 tablespoons olive oil, ¼ cup water, 1 small onion chopped, 4 cloves garlic, 1 kg soft chicken, sweet corn, cucumber thinly sliced, green pepper thinly sliced, Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese grated.
- For the base: 675g flour, 1 ½ teaspoon salt, 3 teaspoons yeast, 450ml lukewarm water and 3 tablespoons olive oil.
What you do:
- Using the first eleven ingredients, make a tomato sauce and keep aside.
- To prepare the chicken, season the chicken with garlic, knorr and salt. Sear on both sides and simmer with little water till it’s cooked and all the water has dried up. Remove the skin and bones and flake it.
- Mix the ingredients for the base starting with the dry ones and then incorporate the liquids.
- Knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface, divide into three smooth balls and roll out each into 12” rounds and place in lightly oiled pizza pans or baking trays, pressing up the sides.
- Cover and leave in a warm place (say an unlit oven, make sure you close the oven door.) to rise for 30 minutes or till slightly risen and puffy.
- Next assemble all the ingredients as seen in the picture then put the toppings on the pizza base in this order: tomato sauce, cheddar cheese, chicken, sweetcorn, green pepper, cucumber and Mozzarella cheese. Note I put the Mozzarella last because its the cheese that gives the pizza that drawy, stringy effect.
- Bake in a pre-heated moderate oven i.e. at 200°C, 400°F or gas mark 6 for 25-30 minutes or until golden and well risen.
- Serve hot or warm and bon appetito!
- PS. I made the third pizza square shaped because its easier to share in little cute squares.