Today’s show started with seven contestants but at the end we had four left because three were removed.
We made appetizers, main and desserts in three rounds and at the end of each stage, one person was removed. We were also to plate the food in specific plates provided.
Stage one: Appetizer. 35 minutes.
- Moi moi leaves
Bode won and Brown was chopped.
Bode made a flat bread stuffed with pepper, tomato and beans and with avocado sauce on the side i.e. like a burrito. He used his leaves to wrap the burrito before warming it in the oven.
I made akara sandwich with avocado and pepper-tomato sauce as the filling. I then topped it with moi-moi salsa i.e. chopped moi moi (steamed in the moimoi leaves) with pepper sauce and chopped onion. All this I plated on circles of moi moi leaf which I cut out with round cutters.
The judges liked my food, plating, taste and all. There were no complaints.
Stage 2: Entrée. 50 minutes.
- Tiger prawns
- Sweet potato
- Zucchini marrow
- Green pepper
I won and Ojo was chopped. I made stir-fried prawns, vegetables and rice with a sweet potato and plantain curry. I also added a little Egusi and crayfish to the curry.
Bode was second and he made Gnocchi; a kind of pasta made with potatoes.
Stage 3: Dessert. 45 minutes.
- White chocolate
I won and I made lemon and rum crepes. This I served with citrus (orange and lemon) and rum syrup. I grated some of the plum skin into the syrup for colour. This topping was a mango and white chocolate cream and crushed pecan brittle.
Bode was second as he made poached plum with toffee and white chocolate moulded into the chefs initials. On the other hand Doom was chopped because her dessert was too sweet.
- Since there were enough oranges in the fridge, I would have just made crepes suzette and flambéed it with the rum as it was not rum essence as I earlier thought.
- Make sure you plan your plating better.
- Calm down before you start and clearly know what you are going to make before you launch out.
- Read labels of ingredients before you start (I thought it was rum essence instead of rum).
- Excel excellently more on taste, presentation and creativity next week.
- Find out elements of an appetizer