This coconut rice recipe of mine has been loved by all and sundry so here I am given it out for free! I actually make this rice for sale but since people keep on asking for it I decided to share my secret recipe. I know you’re thinking, is that a wise thing to do? In this case it is, because my greatest joy is when home cooks can reproduce what I teach them. So here goes.
Nwando’s Coconut Rice
- 500g chicken
- 2 tablespoons grated garlic
- 2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground Cameroun pepper
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- Salt to taste
- 3 pairs Knorr® cubes (not chicken)
- Water as needed
- 250g chopped beef
- 2 heaped cups long grain rice
- 2 sachets Emma® coconut powder
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 tattasai/tatashe chopped
- ½ of a small can(300g) of Farrow® canned peas
- Season the chicken with half of the seasoning and 1 pair of Knorr cubes.
- Add a little water and boil for 30 minutes or till soft. Remove the stock and keep aside for cooking the rice. Fry, grill or roast the chicken and toss in peppered sauce.
- Sprinkle little water and cook the chopped meat, with the remaining seasoning and 1 cube of Knorr till the water dries up.
- Parboil the rice, rinse and keep aside. Put the stock in a pot with some water, taste and add a pair of Knorr cubes and more salt if needed. When boiling, add the coconut powder and whisk till there are no more lumps. Add rice and cook al dente i.e. cooked but firm.
- Stir-fry the onions, tattasai and peas in the coconut oil in this order for a few minutes, season with the last cube of Knorr.
- Add the stir-fry and chopped meat to the rice and mix well. Leave food to rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with the peppered chicken and a parcel of creamy cole slaw wrapped in lettuce.
PS. Remember to drop your questions here and not on my facebook page so that I can see and reply immediately.
I decided to play with Picasa and boost the colours as I simply adore colourful food.